Zeal is an active member of the National Youthworkers Network Aotearoa and applies best practice by adopting the Youth Development Strategy Aotearoa (YDSA) and the Code of Ethics (COE). The core principles of each are described below: The YDSA strategy is based on a youth development approach of six key principles. Zeal upholds this strategy in its approach to youth work.
The principles are:
1. Youth development is shaped by the ‘big picture’.
2. Youth development is about young people being connected.
3. Youth development is based on a consistent strengths-based approach.
4. Youth development happens through quality relationships.
5. Youth development is triggered when young people fully participate.
6. Youth development needs good information.
The core values of the COE are listed below and frame the behaviour and approach of each trained youth worker at Zeal:
Ā huatanga Rangatahi | Young Person Centred
Ā hua Whānaunga | Relationship Focused
Tikanga me te Horopaki | Culture and Context
Iwi Wh ānui | Community Contributors